Steam cleaning pavements, litter picking and flying visits from a Harris Hawk – some of the ways we add a shine to Victoria’s streets.
We are improving the general appearance of Victoria with a night cleaning team and two daytime cleaning teams. We also have a dedicated Environmental Ambassador who reports on environmental and street issues including grafitti and fly posting, flooding issues and abandoned vehicles. He has reported over 6000 issues to Westminster City Council and Transport for London resulting in swift action.
The Victoria BID provides value added cleaning
- Two dedicated cleansing teams cleaned the area from Monday to Friday each week. Westminster Cathedral Piazza received extra attention as a local landmark, along with key VBID public realm sites including our three parklets and the Diamond Garden.
- Five nights a week, between 10pm and 6am, during warmer months a night cleaning team removes chewing gum and grime from Victoria’s pavements.
- Over the past year 21,055 cleaning issues have been reported and resolved by the cleaning team
- A new responsive janitorial service has been launched allowing local businesses to make urgent cleaning requests to the BID cleaning teams by calling the hotline on 0793 484 5503 or the Victoria BID office on 0203 004 0794.
- A new VBID electric vehicle allows the cleaning team to complete daytime jet washing and bin cleaning where necessary
- The BID provides, and our teams manage, the removable tables and chairs in Westminster Cathedral Piazza and the branded deckchairs in Lower Grosvenor Gardens and keep both areas litter free.
- Falconers made 110 visits over the year with a Harris Hawk to deter pigeons from key public spaces in the BID footprint including Westminster Cathedral Piazza, Upper and Lower Grosvenor Gardens and Ebury Square Gardens
The BID took on the management of Westminster Cathedral Piazza. providing a dedicated street cleaning team, a hawk to scare away pigeons and a security team that patrols the area.
Ruth Duston, Chief Executive of Victoria BID